Penrhyn Island located in the northern group of the Cook Islands lies 1365 kilometers north of Rarotonga. Experience an island very few people have ever visited. The flying time is approximately 4 and 1/2 hours in a small turboprop aircraft and flights operate only once per week. A larger aircraft is expected to be on line in the near future. The Maori for the island is Tongareva which has been translated as meaning either "floating Tonga" or "away from the South".
Penrhyn comprises a series of narrow motus (islands) enclosing one of the largest lagoons in the Pacific. The lagoon is thick with
sharks, mostly innocuous black-tips. (only the black shark is dangerous). Islanders ignore them as they dive for pearls. Penrhyn has a host of white sandy beaches fringed by swaying palms, a perfect back drop to while away the afternoon
Since there are no hotels in Penrhyn, your accommodation is either arranged with a local family in the village of Omoka or alternatively with the Polynesian Pearl accommodation units. Your hosts will arrange a visit to the Pearl Farm where you may spend the night if you wish. They will also arrange fishing trips with the local islanders, boating trips to the village of Te Tautu located on the opposite side of the lagoon, or the reef trips to explore the many motus and gather oysters. Fine pandanus hats and baskets as well as mother of pearl jewelry are also made in Penrhyn. Complete your Penrhyn experience with the purchase of a black pearl.
Please contact us for the latest details on phone: (682) 27707 or email: email@example.com
: All rates per person New Zealand Dollars. The first night includes return airfare from Rarotonga including airline insurance levy, return transfers from your Rarotonga hotel to the domestic airport, one night selected accommodation including meals and return Penrhyn transfers, The extra night includes accommodation only including government tax and meals where specified.
Note: Children ages 2-11 Rates valid thru 31 March 2016.
Penrhyn - Tongareva Sunrise Units
TONGAREVA SUNRISE UNITS
- A 2-bedroom self catering unit located on the lagoon with a white sandy beach between the airport and Omoka Village. It is approximately 3 kilometers away from the central village. There are two bedrooms each with a double and single bed and ceiling fans. The units feature private shower and flush toilet for each bedroom and modern kitchen featuring fridge, microwave, oven, toaster, and tea and coffee making facilities. There is a general store nearby, however, as the selection of food items is limited, you may want to consider bringing with you some fresh fruits and vegetables from Rarotonga. Towels, bedding and linen provided. Motorbikes are available for hire. Only Cold Water. Electricity runs from 6am to 11pm daily. Your hosts Twin and Arake Tonitara will ensure that you have a memorable visit and can arrange circle island tours, fishing, snorkelling and lagoon tours, as well as Sunday church services. There is excellent bone fishing in this area and visits to the pearl farm can also be arranged.
|Tongareva Sunrise Units
|TONGAREVA SUNRISE UNITS
rates valid to 31 March 2016
|SINGLE 1ST NTwith car/boat transfers
||TWIN 1ST NTwith car/boat transfers
|Standard (maximum 2)
All Rates are listed are per person NZ Dollars including tax complimentary tropical breakfast and transfers. DOMESTIC AIRFARES ON ENQUIRY
ACTIVITIES ON PENRHYN
VISIT TO A PEARL FARM
- Travel in a small boat out to a Pearl Farm. Learn about the seeding and the Pearl Farm Industry. Visit one of the coral motu's (islands) where you can view the natural pearls.$85.00 per person
- Travel in local wooden boats for an adventurous day of fishing with the local Penrhyn Islander's. Fish for the yellow-fin tuna or bonito. Using the lure you make yourself, haul in tonight's dinner or just enjoy the ride and admire the beauty of the sea and soaring birds overhead. Bone Fishing Excursons can also be arranged. $85.00 per person
- Travel by local boat to the coral motu's (islands) and view the natural pearls. Snorkel and swim in the crystal clear waters. Note: You will need to bring your own snorkelling equipment. $85.00 per person
TE TAUTUA VILLAGE TOUR
- Travel by boat to the village of Te Tautua across the lagoon. Visit the village of Te Tautua and meet the local people. On boat day you can watch cargo being brought ashore on tiny craft. $110.00 per person